Monday, December 12, 2011

How to Knot Your Thread

I am going to do a series of super basic hand sewing lessons, which will begin with the most obvious place to start: knotting your thread!

Before I even thread my needle, I start off by using this easy and effective knot at the very end of my thread. So let's get started!

Step One:


Fold over the end of your thread, making a little bit of a loop as shown above.

Step Two:


Then, fold it in half again, this time tucking the end loop under the rest of the thread, creating yet another loop. We are going to make a basic knot now. The only difference is that the end of the thread is now doubled, which will give us twice the knot.

Step Three:


Go ahead and pull the end loop through your new loop in order to start your knot.

Step Four:


Pull it tight and there you have it! A Knot! Since we folded the end of the thread over, it's like a double knot, just without the extra effort of tying the knot twice and trying to get the second knot in the same place as the first.

Step Five:


If you like, snip off the end loop and the excess thread from the knot.


And there you have it! A nice thick knot. This knot has yet to fail me, but I'm sure everyone knots differently.


But I can almost guarantee that you're safe to thread that needle now!

Here is a link back to the hand sewing directory if you'd like to read more: How To Hand Sew

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I always read every single one of your comments, I just love hearing what you have to say! Please visit me again soon, or even Follow me so you never miss a thing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory